Sunday, February 24, 2013

ALBINO OAK


ALBINO OAK
I found this albino oak tree in the forest in Germany, just outside of Kiserslautern. I could not believe my eyes, but there it was! I took the albino seedling home and another seedling, for comparison. I planted them both, and over the next few weeks I watched as the green, chlorophyll-producing seedling thrived and the albino seedling died. The difference, of course, between the two is chlorophyll production. The albino produces no chlorophyll, hence the white/pink color. Because of the lack of chlorophyll, the tree could not undergo photosynthesis to make food; thus, the tree died after about two weeks. It was such a beautiful tree while it lasted! Do not worry, I planted the green oak back in the forest with its friends :)




1 comment: